In today’s tutorial, we’ll show you how to create a free Windows RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) with AWS Free Tier. Without further ado, let’s get started!
Before diving into the setup process, you need to have an Amazon AWS Free Tier account. If you haven’t created one yet, we’ve included a link below that will guide you through the account creation process.
Once you’ve created your AWS Free Tier account, log in and follow these steps:
Step 1: Launch an EC2 Instance
Select “EC2” under services, which falls under the “Compute” section.
Click on “Launch Instance.”
- On the next page give your instance a name for identification purposes.
Step 2: Choose Windows as the OS
Under “Applications and OS images,” select “Windows.”
- In the “Amazon Machine Image” section, choose a Windows server that is labeled as “Free Tier eligible” and ends with “base” (does not have core on it).
Step 3: Create a Key Pair
Under “Key Pair,” click “Create New Key Pair.”
Name your key pair and click “Create Key Pair.”
✅When creating the keypair make sure that the private key format is in PEM, not PPK
✅Once created, your key will be downloaded. Ensure you don’t delete it, as you’ll need it to retrieve your login password.
Step 4: Configure Storage
Under “Storage,” you can leave the storage size as it is (30GB) since Free Tier eligible customers already receive up to 30 GB of free storage.
Click “Launch Instance” to proceed.
Step 5: Connect to Your free windows RDP
- After launching the instance, wait for approximately 5 minutes for the status check to pass. If there are no changes after this time, simply refresh the page.
- When the status check has passed, select your instance and click on “Connect.”
Choose “RDP Client“
download the Remote Desktop file.
- Click “Get Password” and upload the private key downloaded when creating the key pair.
- Click “Decrypt Password” and copy the generated password.
- Go to your downloads and open the Remote Desktop file you downloaded earlier.
✅Paste the password and click “OK” to open the RDP.
WAIT FOR A MOMENT YOUR FREE WINDOWS RPD WILL START RUNNING
Properties for Your Free Windows RDP
Congratulations! Your RDP is up and running. It’s powered by an Intel Xeon Platinum 8 CPU with a refresh rate of 2.5 gigahertz, equipped with 1 GB of visual RAM, and an internet speed of approximately 360 megabits per second.
✅That’s how you create your very own free Windows RDP with AWS Free Tier.
advantages and disadvantages of creating a free Windows RDP with AWS free tier
There are several advantages to using AWS Free Tier for your RDP:
- Cost-Efficiency: The Free Tier allows you to create an RDP without incurring any initial costs.
- Scalability: You can easily upgrade to a paid AWS plan as your needs grow.
- AWS Ecosystem: Access to the broader AWS ecosystem, including services like S3, Lambda, and more.
- Learning Opportunity: It’s a great way to learn about cloud computing and AWS.
While AWS Free Tier provides an excellent opportunity to create a free Windows RDP, there are some disadvantages to consider:
- Limited Resources: Free Tier instances have limited computing resources, making them unsuitable for resource-intensive tasks.
- Data Transfer Costs: AWS may charge data transfer costs if your usage exceeds Free Tier limits.
- Instance Termination: Free Tier resources are temporary, and you may lose your data if you don’t upgrade or back up.
- Configuration Complexity: Setting up an RDP can be complex, especially for beginners.
If you found this tutorial helpful and want to see more like it, please give this video a thumbs up. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop them in the comments below. Don’t forget to subscribe to our channel so you don’t miss our next video. Until then, take care!